Messi annoyed with Brazil Convid 19 Officials over Brazil vs Argentina match halt
On Sunday, shortly after kick-off, Brazil’s World Cup qualifying match versus Argentina was called off due to a disagreement concerning Covid-19 regulations.
When Brazilian health officials came onto the pitch, the match between the two South American football giants was called off, resulting in a confrontation between team officials and players from both sides.
The move came just hours after Brazilian health officials declared four England-based players in Argentina’s squad should be placed in “immediate quarantine” for violating Covid-19 guidelines.
Because of coronavirus restrictions, the match was played in front of only 1,500 people after only seven minutes.
Read Also: Ronaldo; He is a father figure for my career
The Premier League players — Tottenham’s Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero, as well as Aston Villa’s Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia — allegedly submitted “fake information” upon entering Brazil, according to Brazil’s National Health Surveillance Agency (ANVISA).
Argentina’s starting lineup for Sunday’s game included Romero, Lo Celso, and Martinez, prompting the bizarre intervention of ANVISA authorities.
The four players were accused of failing to report that they had spent 14 days in the United Kingdom before arriving in Brazil, where Covid-19 has claimed the lives of over 580,000 people.
The issue erupted after nine Brazilians based in the Premier League were denied entry to South America due to club objections.
Argentina captain Lionel Messi and his teammates stormed off the field as the game’s outcome remained unclear.
Soon after, Brazil’s team began practising on the field.
Messi afterwards slammed the Brazilian officials’ intervention.
“We’ve been here for three days, why are you doing this just now?” Messi said.
Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni was equally enraged, telling the reporters that “we were never told they couldn’t play the game.”
The Argentina team returned to Buenos Aires in the early hours of Monday.
Claudio Tapia, head of the Argentina Football Association, stated the federation had followed FIFA rules for the event, denying that players had fabricated entrance records.
Tapia stated, “It is impossible to speak about any lie.”
Brazilian officials, on the other hand, were unapologetic about the game’s suspension.
On Brazilian television, ANVISA director Antonio Barra Torres said, “We got to this situation because everything that ANVISA directed from the beginning was not fulfilled.”
The four participants “They were told to stay in isolation while awaiting deportation, but they refused. They walked to the stadium and, in a series of breaches, entered the field ” Added the official.
To prevent the spread of coronavirus variations, a government order dated June 23 prevents any foreign individual from the United Kingdom, India, or South Africa from entering Brazilian territory.
“ANVISA considers that this situation represents a serious health risk and recommends that the local health authorities (of Sao Paulo) order the immediate quarantine of the players, who are prohibited from taking part in any activity and from remaining on Brazilian territory,” the agency said in a statement earlier Sunday.
Argentina’s delegation was also cautioned in a meeting on Saturday that the players at the centre of the controversy must be quarantined and should not play in Sunday’s game, according to the agency.
CONMEBOL, the regulatory body of South American football, announced that the game had been “suspended,” but did not specify when or if it would be replayed, or whether either team would forfeit the game.
“By decision of the match referee, the match organized by FIFA between Brazil and Argentina for the qualifiers for the World Cup is suspended,” CONMEBOL said in a statement.