9 Critical Money Factors That Destroy Marriage
-By Bisi Adewale
The role of money to the success or failure of a marriage is so obvious that it can not be ignored.
Money is the major cause of divorce in marriage and that is why we need to know these 9 critical money factors that destroy marriage.
- Poverty. Marriage is always difficult when the needs of the family cannot be met. Poverty is a major reason many marriages fail. “All the brethren of the poor do hate him, how much more do his friends go far from him? He pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him”. Proverbs 19:7
- Debt is bondage. It can be damaging as it makes the debtor a servant to the lender. It destroys love at home and denies the family the ability to fulfill its potentials.
- Bad Money Habit. Extravagance, stinginess, greed, etc. Are all bad money habits. Many people are extravagant in spending on themselves and outsiders but are stingy at home. This kind of habit will certainly cause a marriage to fail.
- Love of Money. Love of money which is the root of all evils is also the root of many divorces and The love of money is the foundation of greed, show-off spending, stinginess, stealing, lying, competitive attitude, workaholic, money-at-all-cost syndrome, etc.
- Independent Mindedness. Many people believe that their money is independent of their marriage. They are ready to be joined to their mates if it does not involve their bank accounts. Their mindset is; I made my money and I should be able to spend it the way I want. This is the main reason money is destroying homes.
- Irresponsibility. Some people are simply irresponsible. Many of them are making money but will never take care of themselves and the children. This is very bad. I have met a couple of men, who are graduates, they would rather stay at home, fully depending on their wives than look for something worthwhile to do.
- Dependency. For the female folk, some women are also unproductive. They are not “help meet”, but “help eat”. They depend on their husbands for everything including the purchase of a mere handkerchief. That is totally wrong. Although, in some parts of the world a woman may not work, in this part of the world, women cannot afford to be lazy and dependent. “She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands”. Proverbs 31:13
- Too Many Responsibilities. When too many mouths are depending on a meagre income, it will affect the home. Many families in Africa are suffering under this yoke.
- Financial Infidelity. Lack of faithfulness in financial matters in marriage is another pitfall in family success. When married people are fond of cheating on their spouses, giving secret support to their own families, stealing, lying, hiding new things bought without the knowledge of their partners, accumulating secret debts, making major purchases without informing their spouses, they are not financially intimate.