8 Facts About Engagement Rings You Should Know
The engagement ring is traditionally worn on the fourth finger of the left hand by every bride and groom, but many people are unaware of why. Do you truly want to know why this is so coupled with other facts? Then let’s look at 8 facts about engagement rings you should know:
- About 4800 years ago, the ancient Egyptians made a ring out of sedges, rushes, or reeds.
2. Most cultures recognized the circle as a symbol of eternity, with no beginning or end. Giving a ring was essentially a sign of lifelong love.
3. The vein that ran through the finger was considered to lead straight to the heart.
In Roman times, the vein was known as the ‘Vena Amoris,’ or ‘Vein of Love.’ Although this has now been refuted, it is somewhat true when you believe that all veins lead to your heart.
Instead of providing the ring as a symbol of affection, the Romans used it as a symbol of possession.
4.Because most individuals are right-handed, the ring would be worn out more if placed on the right hand which is used more often than the left where it’s worn less.
5. The more “practical myth” behind wearing the wedding ring on the fourth finger of the left hand is that because most people are right-handed, the band will not be damaged as much as if it were worn on the right hand. After the pinkie, the ring finger is one of the least used fingers.
6.One of the many customs carried down from the Egyptians and Romans is ring placement.
7. The Chinese devised a theory that is both intriguing and entertaining to test. Each finger on your left hand represents the past, present, and future generations of your family. The thumb, for instance, represents your parents, the index finger, your siblings, the middle finger, yourself, the fourth finger, your life partner, and the fifth finger, your pinkie, represents your future offspring.
Now it’s time to try something new. Allow your knuckles to contact by bringing your hands together and bending your middle fingers together. Allow your remaining fingers to touch while you’re doing this.
Begin separating each finger one by one. Because you are not destined to be with your parents forever, you will see that your thumbs will pull apart. Do the same thing with your index and pinkies, and you’ll get the same outcome. According to Chinese belief, you and your siblings, as well as your future offspring, are not supposed to remain together forever because they will leave the house and form their own family.
Try the same thing with your ring finger, which symbolizes your life partner. Isn’t it true that when you try to separate these fingers, they don’t lift as easily as the others? This is because you and your life partner were created to spend the rest of your lives together.
- Did you know that the wedding band is not worn on the left hand in every country? Spain, Venezuela, Peru, India, Norway, and Denmark, for example, wear their wedding bands on the right hand, but on the fourth finger. The wedding ring is considered to be worn on the right hand because it is the more dominating of the two, reflecting the strength of a husband and wife’s marriage.
Read Also: 4 Signals that show your man is weak
Kindly follow us on: